Tāranātha starts the common preliminaries explanations with a short detailed section on the Jonang master, Kunpang Chenpo who compiled the seventeen lineages of Kālacakra and six-yogas. This chapter is divided into seven sections:
- the difference between worldly and supraworldly refuge, which involves a detailed discussion of the meaning of Buddha, Dharma and Sangha;
- the reasons to go for refuge;
- how refuge protects;
- the measure of having gone for refuge, this is a discussion of the four specific measures that one has actually taken refuge;
- the benefits of having gone for refuge, in this and next life;
- the training precepts of refuge;
- the difference between hinayana, mahayana and secret mantrayana refuges.